Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Questions For Church Leaders

The following will help eval. and plan as we seek to plan worship experiences in order to reach people.

1. Will my friend feel welcomed?Principle: Hospitality – The atmosphere, nomenclature, and style of service should be inviting and not intimidating to the unchurched.
2. Will my friend fit in?Principle: Comfort and compatibility – Like it or not, invitations and visitor comfort decrease when social or cultural gaps exist.
3. Can I feel confident that I know how the service will turn out?Principle: Consistency – People need to know what to expect, because they will invite accordingly.
4. Will my friend get something out of it?Principle: Relevance – The message should be relevant and powerful for people at all spiritual levels.
5. Will my friend understand it?Principle: Understanding – Jesus taught through practical illustrations. The songs and message should be understandable for people at all spiritual levels.
6. Will everything that could seem strange to the unchurched be explained through Scripture?Principle: Sensitivity – Scriptural actions should be carried out with clarity and considerate explanation.

Having said all this, I am convinced of one thing. If members walk out of your service saying, “I wish my unchurched friend had been here,” they will start to think about inviting their friend. If a member walks out of your service three weeks in a row and says every time, “I wish my unchurched friend would have heard that,” nothing will stop that member from dragging that friend through your doors. The challenging thing is that often, when members walk out of churches, the only thing they can say is, “I wish my other church friends would have heard that.”

This information is adapted from Richard Reising’s book, Church Marketing 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shine