Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Football and Church

Yesterday and this afternoon I spent some time reflecting on the Summer for my family and for the church I lead. As I reflected on the summer with Sunrise I could not help but begin to look forward to the Fall. This led me to look over my children's School Calendar, class schedule and of course the Friday Night Football Schedule which led me to think about Western Branch High School, Midwestern State University, University of TX, Virginia Tech, and of course the Dallas Cowboys. The football craze has begun. The NFL is in pre-season. Fantasy Football is the talk at many offices and guys night out. Sports Bars are gearing up for the crowds. Fans are sporting shirts, backpacks, hats, flags, etc. College students return to school ready to paint themselves the school colors in order to support their team. Fans are talking smack, I am one of those fans, and conversations at all types of gatherings will include some football discussions. I am looking forward to stopping by a local Mexican restaurant, picking up some chip and dip, and watching the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday or Monday nights with my friends Mark and Cindy Reed on their big screen TV. Fall Football. Good times. Supporting your team. Yelling at the TV. Knowing more than the coach. Having fun.

These thoughts about Football led me to then think about Church. Not because we will have to be sure to get out on time for Sunday afternoon football, but because I want people, followers of Christ, to go crazy over Christ and His Church like they do over football. Christ fans talking smack because of what cool changes have taken place in their lives. Christ fans arriving early for a weekend service because they can't wait to see their friends and worship God. People at the office talking about the experience they had in worship. High fives taking place when someone accepts Christ. Slaps on the rear end when someone does an awesome job in the ministry in which they serve. People staying true to Christ and His local church when things go bad and celebrations happening when God reveals himself in His many ways in His many victories. Go Jesus! Fall Football is exciting stuff, so is Fall Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shine