Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent

It was brought to my attention yesterday that Lent begins on Wed. 2-25-09. It was brought to my attention by my children and my wife. Not that we will participate (maybe), but my high school children are having mini Madi Gras in some of their classes today and my mother-in-law will participate in Lent. I know friends, peers, fellow ministers and a few SCC church members who have participated in Lent and may do the same this year a we look forward to Easter Sunday. I know a little about Lent and Easter. I know that I, as a follower of Jesus Christ, should practice Lent not just during Lent and that I should live Easter not just at Easter. Lent - Focusing on God. Giving God my desires, my hopes, my sins, my life. Easter - Hope. Life. New. Celebration. Both of them are about God. God's character. God's power. God's redemption. God working in my life and me living for God. So as I think about Lent and Easter and as you think about Lent and Easter may we think about God. Hope. Renewal. Cleansing. Service. Sacrifice. Giving. Purity. Forgiveness. Healthy relationships. God's Kingdom. Loving God and loving others, and ....

I am thankful for the season/days of Lent and for Easter Sunday, but may I realize they are much more than a season and a day. They really are the way I am to live. Same for you if you are a follower of JC.

7 He (God) is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding. Ephesians 1:7-8
8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:8-10
20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shine