Monday, April 23, 2007

Spencisms

On Thursday, 4-19-07 I had the opportunity to meet with some very sharp church leaders in Richmond, VA. We had the privilege of hearing from and discussing with Ray Spence who is the pastor or Second Baptist Church (2BC) in Richmond, VA. Ray has been the pastor of 2BC for 45 years. Yes, 45 years. WOW. The dude is witty, smart, wise, real, loving, competitive, and gracious. I do not know Ray personally, but those who do, count him as a blessing in their lives. I tagged Ray as an Intelligent Redneck. By the way, you know the famous last words of a redneck? "Hey Bubba, watch this!" Ray took the time to share with a handful of pastors some insights he has gained over the years about taking a church through big changes. We listened, laughed, and I hope learned. Below are some of Ray Spence's comments, "Spencisms", as he enlightened some "grasshoppers".

About people:
"People who press you hard are not your enemies."
"A dog that bites you once will bite you again."
"Find one thing you can do and do it well."
"Some people don't give two hoots and a holler about the church."
About ministries:
"Junk it."
"They are absolutely crushin' it."
About money/finances:
"Not everyone can give a lot of money, but everyone can give a lot of sweat equity."
Kiss of Death: "Let me pray about it."
"Don't cut me out this year I really need you.''
About ministry:
"Churches want excellence."
"Move from Seminary to the pew."
"Sometimes pastors may want to take a poison pill."
"You always have a righteous remnant."
"Successful people take hits."
"Don't use the language of Zion."
"Hadn't always been a cake walk."
"I think behind my belt buckle and in front of my spine."

I will let you interpret. "That dog can hunt."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shine