Wednesday, September 05, 2012

6 Ways Parents Can Bless Their Children

It is imperative that children be blessed (encouraged, built-up, honored, supported, know that they are important) by their parents and by other adults in their lives. These six simple and practical principles can help parents bless their children.
1. Acceptance - You are special to me and I love you. I accept you and cherish you. I do not accept all of your behavior, but you are special to me.
2. Appreciation - Catch them doing something right and speak encouraging words to them about it. Correct them when needed and always double up on the words of appreciation.
3. Affection - Have you hugged you kid today? Hugs, eye to eye contact, high fives, a pat on the shoulder and other appropriate affection will bolster your child's self esteem and lead to a strong bond between a parent and child.
4. Availability - Love is spelled T-I-M-E. Spend time, bunches of it, with your children. Get in the backyard, get on the playground, get on the floor, pull out a crayon, clean house together, cook together, grocery shop together, sit around the table for supper. Do what you have to do to spend time with your children. 
5. Accountability - Help you children develop self discipline by your actions and with your words. Set healthy personal and family guidelines that everyone will benefit everyone. 
6. Affirmation - Speak, write, text, and voicemail as many positive words in a day that you can. Let your child know that they have a bright future. Begin the day and end the day with positive, uplifting words to your children.

This is taken from How To Be A Hero To Your Kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read that before!!! last time it was all foreign to me and I broke before the Lord asking Him to Make me a better Mom!!! Now I can check off some of those, most days, yet here I am broken before my Daddy to make me a better Mommy!!! Thanks Pastor I am going to print it out this time!!!

Post a Comment

Shine