Tuesday, February 12, 2008

ADPD

Do you suffer from ADPD? Attention Deficit Prayer Disorder. ADPD is the inability to focus while you are speaking to and listening to God. The speaking to and listening to God, AKA prayer, is vital to living in the power and presence of God, but the vast majority of followers of Christ I know and visit with spend less than 10 minutes a day in prayer. Ouch. There are numerous reasons for this lack of time with the Creator, Savior, and Life Giver, but one that seems very real is ADPD. The mind wanders, the to do list grows, roof brain chatter beckons, silence leads to nodding off, restless leg syndrome kicks in (even as I write), and on and on and on the list goes. To my knowledge their is no drug or pill that can help with ADPD. I sometimes wish someone would discover focustor or prayerdellin so that I could pop the pill and focus as I seek to speak to God and hear from God in my daily life. but not so. So, here are a few suggestions for myself and for others who suffer form ADPD.

1. Know that God does desire to hear form you and speak to you.
2. Plan the time.
3. Pray with some order. Start by thanking God. Then admit your shortcomings and concerns.
Ask for God's guidance. Be willing to change. Offer request.
4. It is okay to move around while praying.
5. Have your to do list in front of you and pray over it.
6. Call a friend on the phone and pray together on the phone.
7. Memorize one verse about prayer and as you start to wander go back to that verse when you
start to wander. This may help you focus. For instance: Call to Me (God), and I will answer
you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3

These are some helpful hints to help with ADPD. May your time with God increase as you work through ADPD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shine